Do you have a journal? And how do you use it?
I became a “bullet journalist” a few years back. I needed to have that one place where I could pour all of my thoughts and not be judged. I also needed motivation to keep me on track with my health goals. I had tried several apps to measure my steps, weight, calories intake etc. But it didn’t really worked for me.
With the journal, I found a ritual. I would sit at my diner table, put some random show on Netflix in the background and start writing, planning tracking. I loved trying new grids and templates. It was both a creativity and productivity outlet.
One of the templates I have used the most is the one above in the picture. It is my monthly planning. At the start of each month, I would make a calendar to highlight key events and appointments, I would also add a habit tracker to keep myself accountable on the things I was trying to increase (training) or reduce (alcohol). Additionally, I would set myself 2 to 3 goals for the month, as a North Star to focus my energy on.
It worked so damn well for me.
The other benefit from this monthly spread: I can read it back and re-live all the beautiful moments. I can track month after month my progress on my habits and set new goals.
How to get started:
- Find a journal you’re excited to spend time with. I use a Leuchtturm1917
- You just need any pen and a ruler
- Draw your monthly calendar grid, your habit tracker and a box for your goals
- Think about 2 things you want to improve in your life (for me I wanted more training and less alcohol) and add them to your tracker
- What do you want to accomplish by the end of the month? Write it down in your goal box
- Add stickers or decoration as you wish. It makes me happy but it’s not necessary! I personally love the stickers from The Happy Planner.
Next time I’ll share my monthly review spread!